Babe Ruth road jersey sells at auction for $5.6 million
- D'Arnaud hits 3 HRs as Rays stun Yankees
- Giants' Crawford has 3 HRs, 9 RBIs in DH
- Cubs put Contreras on IL, get Maldonado
- Bellinger takes HR lead in Dodgers' rout
- Mets trade candidate Wheeler lands on IL
NEW YORK (AP) A Babe Ruth road jersey dating to 1928-30 has sold at auction for $5.6 million.
Hunt Auctions, which handled Saturday's sale, says the price breaks a record for the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia ever sold. A Ruth jersey from 1920 previously sold for $4.4 million.
The auction was conducted at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees jersey was part of a collection of items that Ruth's family put up for sale. His granddaughter, Linda Ruth Tosetti, says in a statement that a portion of the proceeds will go to charity.
Updated June 15, 2019