Putin awards medal to FIFA president Infantino
European Football Headlines
- A soccer great is now touched by scandal
- France detains soccer great Platini in 2022 World Cup probe
- Guerrero leads Peru over Bolivia in key Copa America match
- Colombia keeping calm ahead of Qatar game at Copa America
- Kerr has 4 goals and Australia beats Jamaica 4-1
- Argentina again facing early elimination at Copa America
- England and Japan to meet in rematch of 2015 semifinal
- Marta sets record with 17th World Cup goal in Brazil victory
- Brazil and Argentina eclipsed at start of Copa America
- US wants win vs Swedes, even if it would mean tougher path
MOSCOW (AP) Vladimir Putin has given FIFA president Gianni Infantino a medal.
The Russian president awarded Infantino the Order of Friendship at the Kremlin on Thursday.
Infantino has often said last year's World Cup in Russia, where the host nation surprisingly reached the quarterfinals, was the best of the 21 editions of the tournament.
Putin thanked the FIFA leader for "your glowing assessment of our efforts."
Infantino says of Russia's "bonds of friendship" with soccer "is not the end, it is only the beginning of our fruitful cooperation and interaction."
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated May 23, 2019