Brazilian player Nikao targeted with racist slurs
European Football Headlines
- A soccer great is now touched by scandal
- France detains soccer great Platini in 2022 World Cup probe
- Guerrero leads Peru over Bolivia in key Copa America match
- Colombia keeping calm ahead of Qatar game at Copa America
- Kerr has 4 goals and Australia beats Jamaica 4-1
- Argentina again facing early elimination at Copa America
- England and Japan to meet in rematch of 2015 semifinal
- Marta sets record with 17th World Cup goal in Brazil victory
- Brazil and Argentina eclipsed at start of Copa America
- US wants win vs Swedes, even if it would mean tougher path
SAO PAULO (AP) Athletico Paranaense midfielder Nikao says he has been racially abused online by Spanish speaking fans since playing against an Argentine team in the Recopa Sudamericana final.
The 26-year-old Brazilian says "it is regrettable that in 2019 these things still exist. I am a very proud black man."
The Recopa is played between the champions of the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana, the two most prestigious club tournaments in South America.
Copa Sudamericana champion Athletico won the first leg 1-0 on Wednesday at home in Curitiba. The second leg will be played in Buenos Aires on May 30.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated May 23, 2019