Diego Costa injures ankle in Atletico Madrid friendly
European Football Headlines
- Trump calls out Rapinoe for comments about White House visit
- FIFA opens disciplinary case vs Cameroon over WWCup behavior
- Video review creates drama at Women's World Cup
- Investment pays off as Europe dominates Women's World Cup
- Argentina hints at more changes for Copa America quarters
- Column: World Cup is huge fun, but what about other 4 years?
- Egypt's Warda sent home for breach of discipline
- Nigeria 1st team through to round of 16 at African Cup
- Russia to allow more foreigners on soccer field
- Brazil looks to avoid another Copa America upset
MADRID (AP) Atletico Madrid says Diego Costa sprained his left ankle in the team's 2-1 loss in a friendly against Beitar Jerusalem on Tuesday.
Costa left the field on a stretcher in the first half of the match in Jerusalem, which marked his return to the squad after missing the final part of the season because of a suspension.
Atletico says initial tests showed no bone damage in the striker's ankle. More exams will be conducted after the team returns to Madrid to assess any possible ligament damage.
The setback was the latest for Costa in a season marred by injuries and lackluster performances.
Atletico's goal in the friendly was scored by Antoine Griezmann in his last match with the Spanish club. The France forward has decided to leave Atletico but is yet to announce his new club for next season.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated May 21, 2019