Barcelona signs Kevin-Prince Boateng until end of the season
European Football Headlines
- Milan defender Calabria to miss rest of season with injury
- Cardiff City-Fulham Preview
- Clubs push for promotion-relegation in European competitions
- Back from Time: Salah OK for Liverpool after New York trip
- Milan's struggles have even flummoxed coach Gennaro Gattuso
- Coaches in Spain under pressure as Liga nears finish
- Life after David Silva not such a harrowing prospect at City
- Italian league condemns racist chanting in Lazio's cup win
- Pogba selected in Premier League team of the season
- Iniesta confident Japanese club Vissel Kobe can recover
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Barcelona surprisingly signed Kevin-Prince Boateng on loan from Italian club Sassuolo on Monday until the end of the season.
The 31-year-old Boateng has appeared to be past his prime after playing for the likes of AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, and Tottenham.
The agreement includes an option to buy the former Ghana international for 8 million euros ($9 million).
Boateng, who plays as a midfielder and as a forward, will be officially presented by Barcelona on Tuesday.
He becomes another attacking option for coach Ernesto Valverde as Barcelona remains in contention in the Spanish league, the Copa del Rey, and the Champions League.
Boateng played as a striker for Las Palmas two seasons ago in the Spanish league.
The physical player had been with Sassuolo since last year. Before that he was with Eintracht Frankfurt.
Boateng was in the middle of a high-profile discussion on racism in 2013 when he led his AC Milan team off the field after facing abuse from fans.
He played for Ghana in the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 21, 2019