Barcelona signs Kevin-Prince Boateng until end of the season
European Football Headlines
- Tottenham Hotspur-Burnley Preview
- Crystal Palace-Leicester City Preview
- Barcelona struggling in attack entering decisive stretch
- CSKA's Dzagoev undergoes right knee ligament op
- Ronaldo's opponents triumphant in his return to Madrid
- Scottish soccer leaders hold talks over fan misbehavior
- Title hopes on the line for Dortmund as Leverkusen visits
- Midfielder Lassana Diarra leaves PSG by mutual consent
- Kane back earlier than expected from injury for Tottenham
- PSG signs new sponsorship deal with Accor hotel group
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Barcelona surprisingly signed Kevin-Prince Boateng on loan from Italian club Sassuolo on Monday until the end of the season.
The 31-year-old Boateng has appeared to be past his prime after playing for the likes of AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, and Tottenham.
The agreement includes an option to buy the former Ghana international for 8 million euros ($9 million).
Boateng, who plays as a midfielder and as a forward, will be officially presented by Barcelona on Tuesday.
He becomes another attacking option for coach Ernesto Valverde as Barcelona remains in contention in the Spanish league, the Copa del Rey, and the Champions League.
Boateng played as a striker for Las Palmas two seasons ago in the Spanish league.
The physical player had been with Sassuolo since last year. Before that he was with Eintracht Frankfurt.
Boateng was in the middle of a high-profile discussion on racism in 2013 when he led his AC Milan team off the field after facing abuse from fans.
He played for Ghana in the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 21, 2019