Getafe routs Alaves in clash of Spain's surprise packages
European Football Headlines
- Atletico wins, keeps Barcelona from clinching Spanish title
- Spain mulls Super Cup in Saudi Arabia; human rights concerns
- Hudson-Odoi to miss rest of season, Nations League finals
- Gyeongnam FC beats defending champion Kashima Antlers 1-0
- Former Barcelona president acquitted of money laundering
- No more champagne for FA Cup winners
- Promoter sues USSF over proposed Ecuador match in Florida
- Long scores quickest Premier League goal at 7.69 seconds
- Barcelona on the brink of another Spanish league title
- Late Spurs winner v Brighton; Southampton gets quickest goal
MADRID (AP) Jorge Molina and Jaime Mata each scored two goals as Getafe routed Alaves 4-0 on Friday to win the clash of this season's Spanish league surprise packages.
The victory pulled sixth-place Getafe to within one point of Alaves in fifth after 20 games.
"It was an important match for us given where we both are in the standings," Molina said. "Our goal remains the same, going forward game by game and trying to string wins together."
Host Getafe dominated from the start, creating several scoring chances before Mata struck from the penalty spot after Guillermo Maripan fouled Sebastian Cristoforo.
Molina made it 2-0 just after halftime when he blasted a right-foot shot from outside the box over goalkeeper Fernando Pacheco.
He grabbed his second from close range following a long throw knocked on to him by Mata, who capped the win with a shot that took a slight deflection off a defender with two minutes left.
The 36-year-old Molina is Getafe's top scorer this season with eight league goals.
It was the worst loss of the campaign for Alaves.
"We were very weak in defense and our defense is what defines this team," Maripan said.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 18, 2019