Mourinho's longtime No 2 takes 1st senior job in Qatar
European Football Headlines
- Unlike men's World Cup, no open vote on women's event host
- Liverpool, Bayern draw 0-0 in Champions League first leg
- Barcelona's attacking stars disappoint in 0-0 draw at Lyon
- Female soccer players in Colombia denounce discrimination
- Former Czech Republic defender Repka gets 2nd jail term
- Atletico's Costa not fit for 90 minutes against Juventus
- Allegri says Dybala will start against Atletico; Khedira out
- Nice punishes winger Saint-Maximin for pulling out of game
- FIFA fines Porto $50,000 for breaching transfer rules
- Jurgen Klinsmann received $3.35M settlement from USSF
DOHA, Qatar (AP) The longtime right-hand man of Jose Mourinho has taken up his first senior managerial job at a club in Qatar.
Rui Faria, who spent 17 years as Mourinho's assistant at Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Manchester United among other clubs, has signed a contract with Al Duhail.
The Qatari club announced the arrival of Faria on Friday, saying "one of the special names in the world of coaching" had turned down "great European offers."
Faria will be presented in his new role in the coming days. On leaving United at the end of last season, the Portuguese coach said he wanted to "spend much more quality time with my family before pursuing a new challenge in my professional life."
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 18, 2019