Barcelona to face Sevilla in Copa del Rey quarterfinals
European Football Headlines
- Ajax rebuffs Champions League elite on and off the field
- What to watch in the leading soccer leagues in Europe
- Pochettino closer to collecting trophy not just plaudits
- FIFA backs English players' social media boycott over racism
- Just like the old days, double looms into view for Liverpool
- Coach fighting leukemia puts Sevilla back on track in Spain
- Questions asked after PSG fluffs 3 attempts to win title
- US to play exhibition vs Venezuela on June 9 in Cincinnati
- Juventus' failure linked to Italy's 'catenaccio' past
- Video shows Lazio fans' racist chants aimed at Bakayoko
MADRID (AP) Barcelona will face Sevilla in the quarterfinals of the Copa del Rey, setting up a rematch of last year's final.
Barcelona has won the Spanish cup for the past four years. It routed Sevilla 5-0 in last year's final, and also beat Sevilla 2-0 in the 2016 final.
The draw on Friday was held minutes after the Spanish football federation announced Barcelona would stay in after avoiding a scare involving its alleged use of an ineligible player.
The judge overseeing competition disputes for the federation ruled Levante's complaint against Barcelona's lineup from their round-of-16 tie was filed after the 48-hour deadline.
Sevilla will host the first leg next week, with the return leg in Camp Nou coming one week later.
The other quarterfinal ties are Real Madrid vs. Girona, Getafe vs. Valencia and Espanyol vs. Real Betis.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 18, 2019