Bessa scores against parent club to help Genoa beat Verona
European Football Headlines
- Southampton fails to score again, holds Bournemouth to draw
- Watford end 5-match winless run in EPL at Wolves' expense
- Box-office Mourinho center of attention again in EPL
- Bayern ends winless streak, Dortmund continues to impress
- Roma falls to surprise 2-0 defeat to 10-man Spal in Serie A
- Real Madrid loses again after its worst scoring drought
- Mourinho melee as United concedes late, draws 2-2 at Chelsea
- Portland-Salt Lake game has postseason implications
- LA Galaxy's Ibrahimovic may play at Minnesota United
- FA looks into claims about Shad Khan team amid Wembley sale
GENOA, Italy (AP) Daniel Bessa may have helped relegate his club as he scored in Genoa's 3-1 victory over Hellas Verona in Serie A on Monday.
The result put Verona six points from safety with four matches remaining.
Genoa is almost assured of safety as it moved 12 points clear of 18th-placed Spal, which has a better head-to-head record.
Bessa, on loan from Verona, was sent in at 1-1, and he broke the deadlock 12 minutes from time.
Fellow subsitute Goran Pandev sealed the match in stoppage time when he spotted Nicolas off his line and sent a delightful chip over the Verona goalkeeper.
Genoa got off to a perfect start when Iuri Medeiros curled in Diego Laxalt's pass inside six minutes. Verona leveled nearly an hour later through a Romulo penalty after an Oscar Hiljemark handball.
Updated April 23, 2018