Ward-Prowse thunderbolt paves way for Southampton victory
European Football Headlines
- Huddersfield Town-Liverpool Preview
- Galaxy, Minnesota United play to scoreless draw
- Shome, Jackson-Hamel score late in Impact's win over Revs
- Rooney, Hamid lead DC United past Crew 1-0
- Castellanos scores in 9th minute, NYCFC tops Fire 1-0
- City beats United 2-0, back on top of Premier League
- Man City 3 wins from retaining Premier League title
- Bayern beats Bremen 3-2 to reach German Cup final
- MLS increases Kaku's suspension to 3 games
- Lazio beats AC Milan 1-0 to reach Italian Cup final
SOUTHAMPTON, England (AP) James Ward-Prowse's second strike in as many Premier League matches and an own goal by Lucas Digne led Southampton to a 2-1 home victory over Everton that helped the south-coast club pull further clear of the relegation zone on Saturday.
Midfield player Ward-Prowse produced a thunderbolt effort in the 50th minute, a rising drive that left England's Jordan Pickford helpless in goal.
Southampton added a second goal 14 minutes later when Nathan Redmond went racing clear and, as left-back Digne tried to stop him, the Everton defender only succeeded in flicking the ball past a stunned Pickford.
Gylfi Sigurdsson scored a late consolation for the visitors with a well-taken, side-footed finish.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 19, 2019