Schar double leads Newcastle to 3-0 win over Cardiff in EPL
European Football Headlines
- Striker Fredy Montero returning to Vancouver Whitecaps
- Juventus beats Frosinone 3-0 to go 14 points clear
- Brazil to play Panama in friendly at Porto
- Charles nets 2, Eibar fights back for 2-2 draw with Getafe
- Lyon warms up for Barca with 2-1 win over Guingamp in France
- Watford beats QPR to reach FA Cup quarterfinals
- Bayern survives Augsburg scare to close gap in Bundesliga
- FIFA transfer reforms target $400M for lower-tier clubs
- Galatasaray scores win over UEFA in finance monitoring case
- UEFA charges Valencia's Kondogbia for deliberate yellow card
NEWCASTLE, England (AP) Fabian Schar scored the first goals of his Newcastle career to drag Rafael Benitez's men out of the Premier League relegation zone with a 3-0 home victory over Cardiff on Saturday.
The Switzerland defender, signed from Deportivo La Coruna in the off season, opened the scoring after a spectacular solo run from the back in the 24th minute.
Fellow defender Jamaal Lascelles then rose to flick on Matt Ritchie's corner in the 63rd minute and there was Schar again, arriving at the far post to slot the ball home.
Relegation rival Cardiff rallied as it attempted to find a way back into the game, but Ayoze Perez made it 3-0 in stoppage time after rounding off a speedy counter attack as Newcastle claimed a second league win in 10 attempts.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 19, 2019